Students and the Course Advisor will work together to plan what each student will accomplish. Checkpoints are built into the course.
- There will be mutually agreed upon timelines for project completion, assignment completion and tests.
- Students may spend more time or less time on particular subjects.
- Courses will be completed based upon student readiness.
- Students will be expected to complete homework.
- Students schedule their final assessments for optimal performance.
- Assessments can be re-done and exams can be re-written.
Students and the Course Advisor organize learning opportunities based upon student needs, interests, skills and aptitudes.
- Students are able to accelerate or de-accelerate learning - courses will have variable start dates and end dates.
- Course Advisors support students with achieving curricular outcomes in their courses.
- Course Advisors encourage goal setting and pacing for course completion.
- Progress and performance in all courses is formally documented and made available to parents.
Regular attendance and daily interaction with other students and teachers will enhance student learning.
Course seminars and Mini Lessons enhance learning and assist student learning of specific concepts. Students will be encouraged to attend seminars and mini lessons.
- Some seminars and mini lessons may be mandatory, depending up course.
Performance Interviews will be completed throughout the year at Parent Teacher Interviews.
- Discussions about attendance, behaviour, expectations, and course progress will be the focus.
- Parents will be contacted to assist with strategies to encourage positive results.
- Parents are encouraged to check PowerSchool and come to Parent Teacher Interviews
Parents - please contact the Course Advisor when your student will be absent. Contact may be made via email, phone call or a message.
Parent / Course Advisor appointments should be scheduled outside of school hours when possible.
Technology use is encouraged (including cell phones).
- Technology is a powerful tool to enhance learning when used appropriately.
- Course Advisors may use cell phones as a means to communicate with the student and parent.
- We encourage parent contact via email, phone calls and visits.
- Course material may include virtual resources that students may access - podcasts, on-line discussions, download learning materials.
- Students must follow cell phone/technology etiquette. Failure to do so may result in a loss of privileges or suspension from use of a period of time.
NOTE: Course Advisor may be an Administrator, Teacher, Educational Assistant or Secretary.